Sunday, January 20, 2008

Committed.

But the seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop. Luke 8:15

This morning our pastor talked about our responses to God's word. When he began to talk about the "good soil", or committed life, I immediately began to think of my Grandparents, Al and Lorraine Barber. Now, I am fully aware that it isn't good to think of others during a sermon, I should really be thinking of myself~and how I can learn and grow. But, even though my thoughts were of my Grandparents, really, I was thinking of my response to God. Because I want to respond in just the way that these two gracious, loving individuals did!

When my Dad was a teenager, and Grandma and Grandpa were just newly weds, they took my Dad into their home as a foster child. They cared for him, taught him, and because of them, my Dad decided he would follow Christ. Over the years, my Dad has told me on many occasions that if it hadn't have been for Mr and Mrs. Barber, that I probably wouldn't be here. Of course, that got my attention! We never lived close to Grandma and Grandpa but our relationship grew and I loved both of them with my whole heart! To me they were not "foster grandparents". They were my Grandparents.

I have the best memories of visits with my Grandparents and my aunts and uncles (who were younger than my own parents and therfore, cooler) :) who lived in CA. We visited every summer. And then when my brother and I got a little older, we went, just the two of us to stay for a week or so every summer. I'll never forget those good times! The Dairy farm, my Grandpa's church family~like our extended church family, frozen yogurt, Mexican food, Grandma reading my Babysitter Club books and watching Anne of Green Gables with my Grandpa. But it wasn't only the fun things we did that I remember, it is also the conversations about our Loving Heavenly Father. The faith of my Grandparents and my own parents was not something that we only talked about only on special occasions or holidays. It was talked about, dicussed and even debated all of the time. It is for that reason that I accepted Christ at a young age. He was SO real to me...how could I not want Him to live in my heart?!

This past year has brought about many changes. Neither of my Grandparents were in the best health and on July 8, 2007, Grandma went to live with her Savior.

My Grandpa managed to live for a few more months, but it was hard for him to be without his sweetheart. He died about a week ago on January 12, 2008.

These two sweet people have forever impacted my life, as well as the lives of many others. I am so thankful to have been a part of their family.

They were committed:
receptive
repentant
reliant on the Lord
reproductive-producing fruit in others
and resilient

That is just what I want to be. Not only for myself, but also for my children and grandchildren. I am fully aware, after all, that my influence doesn't stop with myself or my immediate family. Just as the choices and the sacrifices that my Grandparents made have impacted many generations to come, so will mine!